Are you pressed for time? No worries, listen to the audio of this article…
[audio_player style=”1″ url=”http%3A%2F%2Fwww.victoriouslifecoaching.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F03%2FFaceing-Your-Fears-Audio-030616.mp3″]
Fear is something that all humans have. Some of us fear death, others fear being alone, and others fear social situations. If you can think of it, there’s someone somewhere that’s afraid of it. But fear is a normal part of life! It’s what protects us and keeps us safe.
This past week I encountered several women afraid of one thing or another. Some were afraid of success, some afraid of failure, and some afraid of the unknown. In each case these women were basically paralyzed and unable to move forward.
What exactly is FEAR? I know you’ve heard the acronym “false evidence appearing real”. While that’s a good reminder that there is no need to fear, let’s look at a few solid definitions of fear.
- An unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain, or harm
- To be afraid of something or someone
Fear comes in all sizes and varying depths of intensity. No two people are going to demonstrate the same type of fear to the same thing. Fear is a survival instinct and without it humans would not survive life-threatening situations. Fear keeps us alive by alerting us to imminent dangers.
There are times, though, when fear can hinder us and stop us from enjoying life and experiencing new opportunities and joys.
When your fear starts to limit what you do in life, you need to conquer that fear. For instance, does your fear of flying stop you from traveling to visit family members or prevent you from taking the vacation of your dreams? Or worst yet, stop you from attending business events that could possibly result in massive growth in your business.
What about socializing with coworkers after work? Have you turned down social invitations simply because you were anxious about not knowing anyone in the group?
If your fears are stopping you from taking advantage of the new opportunities in your life, then it’s time to regain control of your life and disallow your fears from paralyzing you. After all, you can’t live in a bubble! It’s time to start living your life instead of watching life pass you by.
Here are a few tips on how to get over your fears and gain control of your life:
- First, identify your fears. Get a piece of paper and write down exactly what you’re afraid of. It doesn’t matter how long the list is, whether it has one thing or 15 things on it. And it doesn’t matter if these fears sound irrational. No one needs to see the list other than you. This is about you taking control and getting over your fears.
- Next,figure out why you have the fear. Try to remember a specific incident that might have caused the fear. Maybe your fear of flying intensified because you’ve been on a turbulent flight. Or maybe your fear of dogs stemmed from being bitten as a child.
- If you’ve blocked out these memories because they’re too painful to remember, a professional can help you reach those memories and decipher their meaning. Maybe hiring a coach or a therapist can help you.
It’s not enough to just identify your fears; the hard part begins with overcoming or conquering these fears. Be patient and be prepared to do some work because, just as the fear took time to manifest, it will take time to conquer.
Be sure to comment below and let me know how these tips help you overcome and conquer your fears.
Shift Your Mindset Change Your Life!